The Power of Branding: Create & Communicate Your Library’s Brand is an interactive, live workshop, bringing together library directors, management, emerging leaders, marketing and PR staff and library board members to explore the benefits of branding to strengthen your library’s future and benefit the community you serve.
As a participant, you work both individually and in groups to look at the practical implications of focused branding to build a brand positioning for your library. Throughout the day, David Vinjamuri, President of ThirdWay Brand Trainers and NYU Professor of Marketing will provide insights, best practices and tools to help you build or reinvent your library’s brand and change your relationship with your community, regardless of your library’s size or budget.
What you will learn
- Understand the role of branding and how it can serve your library and community
- Learn the essential 8-step branding process to help you define your brand
- Construct a brand positioning statement
- Use brand positioning to connect to your outreach and programming efforts and influence everyday decisions
- And much more!
Participants will engage in “kitchen table conversations” throughout the day, to exchange ideas, gain insights, and get answers to your questions. You will receive practical and inspiring advice, proven solutions, and innovative ideas that you can implement immediately.
Who should attend
This workshop is designed for library directors, management, marketing and PR staff, emerging leaders, board and foundation members and anyone who interacts with the public, including—but not limited to—front line staff.
Participants will also get access to The Commons, an online alumni community where librarians can share resources, make connections, and crowdsource solutions to their challenges.
9:00-9:30 am: Registration
9:30-11:00 am: An Introduction to Branding
- What is the role of branding? What does it accomplish?
- How do libraries attract visitors? What can we learn from the private sector?
- What is the 8-step branding process? Why is picking a logo almost at the end?
Map the competitive landscape in your community
11:00-11:15 am: Midmorning Break
11:15-12:15 pm: Brand Positioning I
- Why is a disciplined brand positioning approach helpful for libraries?
- How does brand positioning affect my spending and decision-making?
- Can brand positioning help me spot weaknesses in my strategic plan?
- What are the elements of the positioning statement and how do I construct one?
Pre-work exercise – Looking at design to understand brand positioning
12:15-1:15 pm: Lunch (provided)
1:15-2:15 pm: Brand Positioning II
- How does my specific environment affect my brand positioning?
- How should I account for all the different types of library users and services I provide in my brand positioning?
Draft Your Brand Positioning Statement
2:15-3:15 pm: Connecting Positioning To Action
- How does my brand positioning connect to my outreach and programming efforts?
- How does my brand positioning affect everyday decisions I make?
- How does brand positioning help me know when to say “NO”?
Director’s Inbox – evaluate twenty requests against your brand